NORTHSIDE FRESH COALITION
Northside Fresh Coalition is a community-based partnership born as a project in 2008 by the Northpoint Health and Wellness Center and currently incubated by Appetite for Change. Northside Fresh is a network of over 60 community members, organizations, businesses, committed to building a more self-reliant, just, and connected food system on the Northside. In its first years, Northside Fresh built trust between organizations and individuals in the community. This created the basis for partnerships to develop and birthed collaborative projects including: the West Broadway Farmer’s Market, the North Minneapolis Chapter of the Local Food Resource Group (seed/seedling buying club), the Fresh Corners Growers Cooperative, a community-grown produce aggregation vendor, and the Fruit/Veggie Rx program at the farmer’s market.
Northside Fresh is led by longtime Northside residents and people who have dozens of years experience organizing, working and living in the north Minneapolis food system. Together, our coalition partners possess a wealth of experience in program planning, policy advocacy, community gardening and farming, marketing, business development, education, community organizing, evaluation, and food production and service management.
WHAT DOES THE FUTURE LOOK LIKE?
Northside Fresh envisions:
- A holistic and locally owned food system in North Minneapolis where everyone is able to access, participate in and take ownership of a local food system that is rooted in social and economic justice.
- Successful Northside food entrepreneurs leading to wealth creation and asset retention.
- A food justice movement, engaging youth and elders as leaders for a sustainable future.
- Collective power to advocate for food-based policies, systems and environmental changes that positively affect Northsiders.
- Easy access to fresh, affordable and culturally significant foods, resulting in a healthier, wealthier community and environment.
- Community is united in the movement and working together collaboratively toward justice.
- Local Ownership
- Racial Justice
- Wealth Building
- Leadership Development
- Honoring What Came Before
- Holistic Health
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Want to be the first to know about what Northside Fresh has going on? Sign up here!